I have wanted to make a hat for the past few head-freezingly cold winters, but have always been a little bit too self conscious to do anything about it. I have a small head and wasn't sure what type of hat would actually suit me, and sometimes the more you think about something, the harder it can seem. There are soooo many patterns to be found on t'internet aren't there? I've looked at a gazillion hat patterns in the past few weeks, but just couldn't decide what to do. Nothing inspired me, nothing really seemed quite right for me and my diddy little child sized head somehow. Child hats too childish. Grown up hats too chunky/slouchy/trendy/naff/peaky/nerdy. So I did what I often do and dived in feet first with hook and yarn and embarked on my very own Lucy-hat.
I kind of had my bag in mind (!) crazy as it sounds. I thought that I could make a flat circle, then stop increasing to make the sides happen. Then possibly a little bit of a flare at the bottom edge. Not quite a beanie, and not quite a cloche. Something in between.
I used Rico Essentials Merino Dk, on a 4mm hook.
I worked 8 rounds/6 inches of flat circle in UK treble crochet (US double crochet).
Then I stopped increasing and worked 9 more rows of trebles. I kept measuring it on my head as I worked, trying to judge how tall to make it.
After the 9 rows, I was kind of down to where I thought a band would look nice running around, so I switched colours and worked two darker rows with a spacer row in between.
Then another row of straight trebles. The hat was about an inch above my eyebrows at this point, so time to introduce a weeny bit of a flare/brim. Just a small one. I added in some increase stitches in this row :: I worked 3 tr's then an increase, 3 tr's then an increase etc. Just enough to widen the bottom without making it ruffle.
The bottom edge started to naturally curl and roll up, but I really liked the effect of it, kind of a happy accident really. So to make allowance for the roll, I worked 3 more rows of straight trebles. And that was it. Done. A hat! I made a hat!!
Now, this is a Lucy-hat, so it wouldn't really be finished without a little extra embellishment, would it? I mean, I resisted the (tremendously strong) urge to work in multi coloured stripes (only two colours!), but there was definitely a little more pizazz needed. I started by taking a long double strand of green yarn and working a simple running stitch around, weaving the needle in and out of the crochet stitches. Oh boy, such huuuuuugely satisfying work! LOveD doing that row of stitchy/weaving!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. That coffee is sooooo good.
It came to me then :: a flower was needed. A happy kind of multi-layered flower. Not too small. Quite flamboyant. Leaves? And some buttons maybe? Yes, yes. It'll be a bit quirky, but it will really make the hat.
Oooooooooooh! Pretty flowery goodness! I also made some leaves using the pattern I designed for the Happy Flower decoration, they worked out just right size-wise.
I have to tell you, I adore the flower I created. Love, love, love it. I wondered for a little while whether I should have played safe and made the flower in shades of blue to co-ordinate rather than contrast with the hat. But where's the fun in being co-ordinated?! Much better to go for an all out bit of zing.
Very, very hard to get a decent hatty picture of myself, but I did my best. Actually, I feel a bit foolish showing you cos I'm certainly not trying to say Hey Look At ME! But.....but I am quite honestly proud of my hooky hatty efforts.
I've worn the hat every day since I finished it. Every day. I've had lots of compliments. And most importantly, the Little People seem to like it and aren't remotely embarassed by their quirky mother in her hand made hat. Phew.
I've been making some more of these pretty layered flowers as I have a large crochet Christmas Wreath in mind...I'm thinking similar to the May Rose Wreath, but with a mixture of flowers, holly, mistletoe, berries, baubles, bells, stars...and maybe a bird or two.
If you'd like me to, I'm going to write up the pattern and make a tutorial for this flower in the next few days. And speaking of tutorials, am also hoping to write one up for the Bower Bird very soon as well....am currently sampling a slightly smaller, fatter version suitable for use as a Christmas Decoration.
Gosh, I do l♥ve doing what I do.